Saturday, October 13, 2018

Virtual Mentor interview on cultural diversity and ELL

For this virtual mentor interview I posed the question:

What strategies or resources do you use to help your class/program be responsive to cultural diversity and English language learners?

When talking to my mentors they had a lot of the same mind sets because they all pretty much come from schools that are not highly diverse. They said that it is important because of the low diversity in the schools to make sure you are some how exposing students to other people who may not be exactly like them.
Image result for ethnic cartoon
A really good way to do this is to make sure that you have an active and involved program. Getting students out there to meet other students that are not like them is a very good way to get students familiar with the fact that not everyone is like them. Not only does being involved and going places like state or national convention allow students to be exposed to diversity, but it also helps them create lasting connections that they otherwise would have never gotten.
Related image
Another aspect that was brought up was know your resources in your school, get ideas from other teachers as to they try to include diversity among the students. It never hurts to reach out and ask for advice. Also, doing activities that may be culturally different or watching or teaching content that doesn't strictly talk about the majority of your students population. For instance when doing FFA history don't just talk about the FFA. There was an organization that was called the NFA that was made up of diverse students. It's important for students to realize that there are so many people different that them and the more they can be exposed to it, the better.

I hope that I can create an inclusive environment within my classroom, so that every student feels accepted and wanted. However, I can't just do that alone. I am just one person, I can drive that atmosphere for my classroom, but in the end it's up to the students to accept each other. I believe I can drive that atmosphere by making sure my students are exposed to cultural diversity throughout the time I teach.
Image result for change begins with me cartoon

2 comments:

  1. Rachel, your team shared some great ideas with you. I especially like your emphasis on wanting to create an inclusive and accepting environment. Remember, you set the tone and the example, and if you can incorporate the ideas you shared in this post, you will be well on your way to creating a classroom that is welcoming for all students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel I like your ideas to include diversity in your programming even though your community may not be diverse. You may be questioned about your choice by parents, and it is important to remind them and your students that FFA is a national organization and your students will be interacting with other students from many different backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete