Friday, September 14, 2018

First days..

The lab that I have completed was to show what I would do for a lesson on the first day of class. my classmates had roles to play as different problem students in the classroom. When I initially started my micro teaching I went in with confidence, however once I realized that I wasn't going to get an easy group of students, I tried my very best to reprimand all the behaviors. It was difficult keeping track of all of them even though there were only 4. I ended up having to divert from my lesson, so that I could establish my expectations sooner. That didn't really work for me either. I ended the lab frustrated if I am being perfectly honest. It wasn't for lack of trying though. at the end my gems that I told myself were:
I kept bouncing around and I really tried my hardest to make sure ALL student were paying attention
I also was able and ready to rearrange my lesson to try and adapt to the way the class was behaving and I stuck to my guns.
however my opp was that I got frustrated easier than I should have and I know that put a negative energy into the class that should not have been there.
Image result for quotes for positive thinking

After this lab I realized I have A LOT of work to do when it comes to classroom management.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your gems! That is a great start. Even though I personally had a decent group in my lab; I still struggled with a technology obsessed student. I know others did not have a great experience either. We are all in this together! You (and all of us) will develop different skills over time. Someone basically said (I believe it was Dr. Foster) that all of us are going towards the same destination, we just take different paths to get there. I believe that you can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, thank you for your honesty in your reflection of the lab and for listing your gems and opps. As we move forward, please incorporate discussing those items in more detail and describing what you would do differently to turn your opps into gems and to make your gems shine even brighter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, won't lie to you. Managing student behavior in the field can be extremely challenging. At times it can feel like a game of whack a mole. Creating a culture of respect from your students is an important step in maintaining student behavior and creating that culture begins on Day 1.

    ReplyDelete