Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Micro teaching reflection

For my micro teaching I was at Bellefonte area high school. I was put in charge of conducting a lesson pre-vet class. The content I chose to teach was on common diseases. I chose to do the first day on livestock diseases. the diseases were blue-tongue, avian influenza, anthrax, and foot and mouth disease.
Related image Image result for virus molecule
I started my lesson off with the bellwork being that the students had to make name tags, since I didn't know them I thought that would be a good kick starter to my three days of teaching. After they created name tags I had them do an activity that demonstrated the spread of disease with baking soda and flour. the students had to get up and interact with one another and only one of them was "infected". The students really seemed to enjoy this activity and it seemed as though they had a blast trying to problem solve who the person was that was the initial disease carrier. In the student's ticket out the door a student put that they felt as though that activity helped them better understand how diseases are spread. After that activity was wrapped up instead of straight lecture, I had the four diseases put out on clipboards, so they could look through and see what the symptoms, treatments, and prevention methods were for each disease.

When doing this I realized I had ran out of time for everyone to get through all the diseases, the way I adapted is I had the students that had looked over the diseases already were to share out what they learned with the class.
Image result for clock
For me the most difficult thing was time management. Not with only the lesson itself, but with pacing between the different students. Every student has their own pace when it comes to not only writing down notes, but also retaining information as well.
Image result for snow
The next two days I was suppose to teach the same class again, however snow took it's tool and Bellefonte closed, so I was unable to do so. What I was planning on doing was on day the second day they were going to google symptoms of a given disease, find it then present their findings to the class on a poster. The last day they were going to learn about diseases in small animals and exotic pets. Since this did not happen I reflected on as a teacher what would I do for lost time? If it was my own class I could continue where I left off when the students came back, or in this digital day in age since Bellefonte is a 1 to 1 school I could send out an alternative digital assignment and if there was anything that HAD to be done in class they could do it when they came back. Honestly, for me since we only had three days with these students and I couldn't adapt to teach them on the days following the snow days I was a little upset. I was super excited to do my day 2 lesson with them and I never got to do it. However, sometimes things just don't work out as you want them to. The best you can do is think positively and move forward.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, great interest approach activity for your lesson! I like how you share what you would have done to adapt and overcome the days lost to snow, especially using the 1:1 technology for an alternative digital assignment!

    ReplyDelete