Friday, January 18, 2019

The Slow and Antsy week: Student teaching Week 2

This week there weren't a whole lot of highlights overall. There were some things that happened here and there, but for the most part it was slow. I was starting to get antsy sitting at my desk and just observing, so Monday through Thursday were a little slow for me.
Image result for slow
However, Ms. Russell asked me on Thursday if I wanted to start teaching on Friday and if I was ready. I jumped on that opportunity! I was super excited to take on a class. The class I got to take on was the natural resource one! This blog isn't going to be extensive, but it'll give you an overview of my week.

Week 2 Highlights:

- Start of the week Monday I was sitting in my vehicle waiting for Ms. Russell to arrive. She was still on time, but running a little later than what she usually does and I was curious as to why. So, in pulls Ms. Russell in her truck and she gets out and heads to the bed, puts down the tailgate and without any explanation, she pull a rooster out of a cage and puts him in the chicken coop with the hens. (another only in an Ag class moment)

Image result for rooster
- I went to a committee meeting with Ms. Russell. This committee was focused on the school safety, so the school safety committee (It was kind of funny that Ms. Russell is on that particular committee after she had cut her finger last week).

-In order to raise money the life skills students do a lunch every 3rd Friday for the teachers at $6 for either a steak salad or a spaghetti dinner. I was able to participate and buy a lunch from them, so that way money can go towards a trip that they take. The students really seemed to enjoy making and serving the food.

-Friday morning there was a 2 hour delay and it was nice getting the extra time to sleep and get ready to take on the day, especially when I knew I would be teaching my first class. 

-*BEST HIGHLIGHT* I GOT TO TEACH MY FIRST CLASS! The students walked into different materials set out on their desk, they were intrigued as to what was happening. I went through my entire lesson with them, but I went a little faster than what I wanted. The students seemed excited about some of the things I had in store for them, but there were other things that made them groan. One of the things I am going to do with this group of students is a daily bird call, one student groaned and claimed it was going to be difficult because I plan on quizzing them every Friday on the bird calls they learned that week. It was funny to see how students react when you show your own interest. I did an exit ticket and what they had to write down is what they were most excited for learning in this class, I had expressed to them in my introduction that I have an obsession with birds. In over half of the exit tickets the students put down that they were excited to learn about the birds.

-The last highlight I would like to bring up is the students were waiting quietly for the bell to ring to be dismissed from class (this was another class not the one I taught) and out of no where we hear this loud ting. We look over and the leg of a table had fallen off! the student sitting there got blamed (all in good jest) and the class scrambled to try and help put the leg back on. When the students were rushing to help, instead of sitting the table gently on it's side, they put it down with a bang in the chaos of the event. after the table was safely on it's side Ms. Russell obtained a screw driver and they fixed the table. Oh boy! what a hilarious way to end the week.

My final thought I want you all to know is I had SO much fun teaching my first class, I know things aren't always going to be sunshine and glitter, but today (Friday) I would call a win! I am so excited to continue teaching!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel,
    It’s great to read your enthusiasm for student teaching! Congratulations on teaching your first official class. It’s great that you are sharing your passion for birds with the students. I’m interested to learn how it goes with the bird calls. It sounds like a fun way to start a class. Good luck with week 3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, glad to hear things are starting off strong for your experience. I'm also glad to hear that you are already starting to experience some of the "real world" aspects of teaching, such as students not always reacting to something the way you had planned on. All great learning for you though. You will soon understand just how valuable 2-hour delays can be as your prep-work will increase as you move forward. Enjoy them whenever you can.

    ReplyDelete