Sunday, February 17, 2019

Just a day and a half: Student teaching Week 6

Pennsylvania never ceases to amaze me when it comes to bad/crazy weather. Thanks to the wonderful Pennsylvanian weather we got out early on Monday, then had 2 days off following that and THEN I had to be back on campus Friday for a seminar with my cohort. With all this happening I taught for a whopping day and a half. However, I am now almost at a full load of classes with every class but 1st period on my plate.



I came to learn quickly that not every first day with a class always a walk in the park. One of the periods I picked up on Thursday I had to raise my voice to be able to establish my expectations for the class. I never would have thought I was going to need to lay down the law for a first day experience with a class, however here I am.



Since, I was out of school Friday one of the things that I had to do was leave behind substitute lesson plans. It was a lot of work trying to piece together the materials that I needed for every single class that I was going to be leaving behind for my "substitute". There is going to be an entire week in March that I am going to have to leave sub plans behind for and I know that is going to be a huge time commitment to prepare for.

While back on campus we went through mock interviews, I believe they helped me out immensely. I thought I knew quite a bit about interviewing, but there were some pieces of advise that were given to me that I had never even thought of before. It was nice seeing how an interview would go from different professions and not just formal Ag Ed. After the interviews though I had a moment of realization that this is real. This is actually happening. The world is soon going to have a Ms. Rachel Bloom in the professional world doing the best she can to make a difference.


To my readers:

In your opinion what is the number one thing to remember when it comes to getting ready for an interview?

What would you recommend to a student/new teacher when it comes to planning out a long length of time for a substitute when you know you're going to be out?

2 comments:

  1. Rachel,
    The number one thing to remember is that interviews go both ways! You are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. Just be authentic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, I hated sub plans...with a passion. Some days when I was sick I'd just come into school anyway because it was easier than figuring out sub plans. My best advice. "Make friends" with a really good substitute that you can rely on and request them for extended absences. That way you know that if you leave them some of your actual plans, they will usually be able to do an adequate job following them.

    ReplyDelete