Sunday, February 24, 2019

What are the official FFA colors?: Student Teaching Week 7

National blue and corn gold. How is this relevant to my weekly reflection blog? Well, let me tell you. This was National FFA week, a time to celebrate and appreciate everything FFA. At the end of the week we had Ag Olympics which involved the entire school. During the activities there were a few trivia questions that were asked. One of which being what are the official FFA colors? The student who answered that question was one of the 8th graders that had just gone through the FFA unit of my class. A couple of the other trivia questions were answered by other students from MY 8th grade class. I WAS SO PROUD. It made me smile from ear to ear knowing that a lot of that knowledge was thanks to my teaching.

It was a fun week, but once again it wasn't a full one. However, the days we were in session I had the opportunity to dress up in some pretty fun stuff.

Monday: Pajamas
Tuesday: Flannel
Wednesday: Teacher/Student swap day (that day was cancelled)
Thursday: AMERICA day
Friday: FFA/Ag shirt day

It was awesome to see students participating and finding enjoyment in the week immersed with FFA. I have started to find a basic groove with interactions with my students and I am building relationships with them that I know I will cherish forever.

However, even though I am building those awesome relationships I have a couple students that are very negative and claim the don't like agriculture and just look at everything in a negative light. It brings me down to see such negativity. For example the one student scoffed at my bellwork, simply because she didn't like the phrase bellwork and thought that bellringer sounded better. I'm trying to roll with the punches, but it's difficult to reach some students.  I just keep my head up, every day is a new day and I work every day to say at least one thing positive to these negative students everyday.

To my readers:
How would you motivate students that are just consistently negative?

How do you get students who refuse to do things to do them?

1 comment:

  1. You hinted at the best way to motivate with your discussion on relationships. Keep your focus on reaching those students in ways that connect to their life. Help them understand the "why" you are doing things, make meaningful connections and relationships with students and they will move mountains to engage in your program

    ReplyDelete