Sunday, February 10, 2019

*Blink* Woah: Student Teaching Week 5

Wow I think I blinked. I am now 1/3rd of the way through my student teaching. 5 weeks down, 10 to go. This week the teacher's finally had a full week. However, the students were lucky and had an already scheduled day off on Wednesday. While they were at home I was here going through a training that involved what to do in the case of an active shooter. It's a scary thought that this possibility is a very real thing.



This was my last week with a light load of 2 classes. Starting next week I will be teaching a total of 6 classes. I know once I pick up those classes, my days are going to go even faster than what they are going now. I'm mentally preparing myself to be the most exhausted I have ever been.
What I want to highlight for this week is today I started the 3rd period class. I had a 45 minute period planned with ice breakers and different activities. However, when I did my introduction and mentioned bird banding it peaked an interest. My  day of ice breakers turned into a lesson through me sharing something that I love to do.


Now that I am in the jive of getting to know the students I'm starting to realize that there doesn't have to be big highlights every week, it's appreciating the little things, from a student coming up to you to ask you a simple non ag related question to watching a student really getting into something that they love to do.

Speaking of not ag related, I had the opportunity to attend a pink out game (a game that benefits someone with cancer) for girls basketball and they were great to watch! not wonder Juniata Valley takes such pride in their basketball. They have some extremely talented students in the district. Not to mention the student who coordinated all of the happenings of this large event game was one of our ag students! I'm very proud of her to say the least.
One last thing I want to highlight is I had a student write and article in the paper about me and the eco bottles I had the natural resource class create and it came out in the Huntington paper on February 8th. Not going to lie, it made me smile.


Questions:

How can I fuel a student to pursue their interest, even if it's not ag related?


How do you suggest I balance classes, so that way they don't divide to far apart when it comes to the content I will be teaching?

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! I love it when we can let our passion shine!

    1) I would be hard pressed not to tie any student interest back to food, fiber and natural resources, or at least a transferrable skill.

    2) I think it is more important that you address the needs of the students in the room, helping each group make progress and learn as opposed to trying to keep different classes (ie 1st period, 3rd period, etc) synched up!

    If you are talking about individual students in one class, everyone needs opportunity to have growth, thus, you will no doubt identify opportunities for differentiated instruction where your top performers can fly high and your other learners can continue to be stretched!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, I know from experience it can be difficult to motivate students to think about their future careers. Even those that don't want to pursue a food, fiber, or natural resources career. Sometimes I found just talking "real" with them and laying out the realities of life such as bills, cars, phones, food, etc. can jumpstart students to the realization that they will all need to figure out something to do to support themselves, therefore it's better to find something that they enjoy.

    ReplyDelete