Sunday, March 3, 2019

Turkeys, Assembly’s, and Delays: Student Teaching Week 8

To kick off this week we had a 3 hour delay and there was a chance that I was going to teach without power. In the 3 extra hours I had I adapted and planned, so that I was prepared to teach without that power. When I got there the power luckily came on about 10 minutes before classes were getting started. However, I realized if I can adapt to teach without power it makes teaching with power seem that much easier.


On Tuesday we got in 22 turkeys to raise and I jumped on the opportunity to use them as a research project with one of my classes. We decided to compare different feed brands and take their weights on Tuesdays (Turkey Tuesdays)  to see which made the turkeys gain more weight each day.


On Friday we had another delay and an assembly as well, so there wasn’t much class time at all. The assembly was for a program that JV does called CHAMP and it’s basically a miniature THON for their county. It was awesome seeing everyone in the auditorium together. When I say everyone, I mean everyone K-12. Seeing all the student there supporting this cause to raise money to go to families in the county that needed it. Juniata Valley alone raised $11,504.53. With a last minute $20 being thrown in there for one of the high school teachers to come up and kiss a pig on the lips (the pig bit him by the way).  The students really seemed to enjoy their time at the assembly and so did I.



Question:

How can we incorporate an event in FFA that deeply impacts the school, schoolwide?

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, the idea for Turkey Tuesdays and incorporating the animals into meaningful learning activities as often as possible is great! FFA and agriculture have benefits for everyone, including those are are not directly involved in ag classes. Food, fiber, animals, plants, employability skills, leadership, and community service are components of FFA that impact everyone. Using these commonalities to create events can help to tie in and involve many people.

    ReplyDelete