Sunday, March 17, 2019

Full weeks do exist: Student Teaching Week 10

For the first time since I started teaching there was actually a full week of school! you can also add a day to that because on Saturday I attended the Blue Juniata auction that is held every year as a fundraiser for the chapter. So, not only did I get a full 5 days, but a 6th day as well. (A full week for me however meant 3 days with my cooperating teacher and 2 days with a substitute. Ms. Russell had to spend part of Thursday and all of Friday preparing for the Auction.)
Image result for 5 days
This week I was able to move the students a little farther in their shop projects and I was able to begin a unit on wait for it... BIRDS I was so excited. I was going to go ahead and do a plant unit with my students after plumbing, but they expressed wanting to learn about birds instead. I ran it past Raylene and she let me go for it! I am truly in my element with this subject. Another thing that made me ecstatic was I proposed the question to my 8th graders about what they would want to learn after they finished their wood shop project and multiple students said "hunting and fishing", so I took that and made it a little broader asking if they would be okay with environmental sciences and they were all on board. In my head I was doing a super happy dance.

On Thursday I had a speaker come in from the Conservation District to teach my natural resource class on how to use the Biltmore Stick. We were able to go outside and it was very nice.

On Friday Miss Victoria Herr came to visit me and it was very nice having her there. It was a sense of comfort knowing that someone on the same level of teacher was there to support me and see how I am doing.

As I had mentioned on Saturday the Blue Juniata FFA held an auction. As soon as I got there a couple students exclaimed MISS BLOOM IS HERE! They were so excited to see me because they already had a job lined up for me. Cutting pies, yay. It was fun though getting to meet new people and learn things about people in the community. It made me realize, depending on what type of fundraisers you have. It's not just an event to get money, but fundraisers can bring communities together as well.


For my readers:

Are there any fundraising ideas you may have that would not only bring in money, but promote coming together as a community as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment