Sunday, March 10, 2019

Shop, shop everywhere! Student teaching week 9

This week was pretty significant for me in the terms that I ended a lot of theory in the classroom and started to apply it to practices in the shop. When it came to ag mech I’ll admit I was very nervous and wasn’t sure how I would do teaching it. This past week I impressed myself. I taught soldering, brazing, MIG welding, and started a wood shop project with my 8th graders!




I would say I feel more and more confident teaching in the shop every time I am in it! Who knew that the girl passionate about environmental science would love teaching shop! Natural resources will always be my passion, but Ag Mech is definitely second!



What’s my favorite part about ag mech you may ask.. well let me tell you! I love seeing students attitudes change in a positive light! For example when we went to weld a lot of the students were super nervous and didn’t want to do it at all. After some guidance and some demos they finally tried it and all of them agreed that it wasn’t as bad as they thought it would be. There were quite a few of them that actually enjoyed running beads when they didn’t think they would!


Another awesome thing about teaching these skills is often after students do them they feel proud of what they had accomplished. For brazing practice they brazed a couple washers together and let me tell you, some of those students faces were beaming with pride and joy!

I’m excited for this coming week because I get to go back into the shop with my students to work on projects or to teach something new!

To my readers:

Have you ever done anything shop based? If so, what was your proudest creation?

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, glad you are finding success in the shop with your students and both you and they are enjoying getting to put theory into practice! We didn't have a "shop" where I taught, but we managed to find ways to do shop based projects. My students' proudest creations were building a solar powered hydroponics system to grow lettuce and herbs, and building an automatic watering and light system for our green walls.

    ReplyDelete